Russell Jewell Ed.D., NWS, TWSA, AWS Website: russelljewell.com Russell Jewell is an internationally recognized plein air painter, published in multiple books and magazines such as: North Light’s Splash Series, The Best in Watercolor, Sketchbook Confidential II, The Artist Magazine, and Plein Air Magazine. Jewell is a signature member of the National Watercolor Society, Transparent Watercolor Society of America and the American Watercolor Society. Russell Jewell’s educational recognitions include a Doctorate in Art Education from the University of Georgia, a Fulbright Memorial Scholarship to Japan, and a United States Patent for his Jewell-Box Viewfinder. Jewell’s work has been acquired through five separate museum purchase awards. In 2019 Jewell won, Best Watercolor in Plein Air Easton! In 2021 Jewell won Best Architecture in Gloucester Plein Air and again Best Architecture in Mountain Maryland Plein Air. Russell Jewell’s work can be viewed at: russelljewell.com and his speed painting videos are under Russell Jewell Plein Air on Youtube.
Russell Jewell Ed.D.
AWS, TWSA, NWS
Russell Jewell is an internationally recognized plein air painter, published in multiple books and magazines such as: North Light’s Splash Series, The Best in Watercolor, Sketchbook Confidential II, The Artist Magazine, and Plein Air Magazine. He is a signature member of the American Watercolor Society, National Watercolor Society and Transparent Watercolor Society of America. Jewell has devoted over 30 years as an art educator in the public education system. Some of his educational recognitions include a doctorate in Art Education from the University of Georgia, Fulbright Memorial Scholar to Japan, and a United States Patent for his Jewell-Box Viewfinder. Jewell’s work has been purchased through multiple museum purchase awards. In 2013 Jewell was awarded the $5000.00 Grand Prize with Easels in Frederick Plein Air competition. In 2014 he won the $2500.00 Grand Prize for Plein Air Piedmont, and in 2017 he won the $1000 Artist’s Choice Award at Tilghman Island with Plein Air Easton. Jewell’s most recent awards include: 2021 Mountain Maryland Plein Air: Best Architecture, 2021 Gloucester Arts Festival Plein Air: Best Architecture and The Eastern Shore Plein Air Agricultural Collection museum purchase during the 2021 Plein Air Easton competition. In 2022 Jewell was awarded signature member with the American Watercolor Society and exhibited in the 155th International American Watercolor Society Exhibition at the Salmagundi Art Club in New York. Russell Jewell’s work can be viewed at: russelljewell.com and his speed painting videos are under Russell Jewell Plein Air on Youtube.
Russell Jewell AS Degree Montreat College
116 Deer Creek Court BA Degree Mars Hill University Art Education
Easley, SC 29642 Masters of Arts University of South Carolina
Cell: 864-430-0559 Doctorate of Art Education University of Georgia
Major Educational Recognition:
* United States Patent on a Plein Air Viewfinder
* Fulbright Memorial Scholar to Japan
* National Board Art Education Certification
Russell Jewell’s Artistic Accomplishments
(BOLD TYPE indicates National and International Competitions in the last 6 years)
• 2022 To be Published Splash 23: The Best of Watercolor Honorable Mention
• 2022 Exhibited 155 International American Watercolor Exhibition NY, NY
• 2022 American Watercolor Society Signature Membership
• 2022 Painting in Olmsted Plein Air Invitational Atlanta, Ga.
• 2022 Painting in Plein Air New Bern New Bern, NC
• 2021. Exhibited 154 International American Watercolor Exhibition NY, NY
• 2021 Museum Purchase: Beauty and Bounty, Eastern Shore Plein Air Agricultural Collection
• 2021 Published Plein Air Magazine: Nuttin Better the Nuttalls
• 2021 Best Architecture Gloucester Plein Air Arts Festival Va.
• 2021 Best Architecture Mountain Maryland Plein Air Cumberland, Md
• 2020 President of South Carolina Watermedia Society
• 2020 January Feature Article “Freezing the Sun” Plein Air Magazine.
• 2019 Transparent Watercolor Society of America Indira Das Memorial Award
• 2019 Plein Air Easton: Best Watercolor, Easton, Md
• 2019 Olmsted Plein Air Atlanta Invitational Best Color Award
• 2019 South Carolina Watermedia Society National Exhibition Second Place
• 2019 Floyd Plein Air Virginia Third Place
• 2018 Painted in the Olmsted Plein Air Invitational Atlanta, Ga.
• 2018 Published in Plein Air Magazine online publication
• 2018 Accepted to be published, The Best of Watercolor: Splash 20
• 2018 Parrsboro International Plein Air Festival Nova Scotia Artist’s Choice Award and First Place Quick Draw
• 2017 Plein Air Easton $1000 Tilghman Island Artist’s Choice Award
• 2016 Clemson Fine Arts 2nd Place Award Annual
• 2016 Published Splash 17 Best of Watercolor
• 2016 Exhibited National Watercolor Society
• 2016 Best Quick Draw Mountain Maryland Plein Air
• 2016 Exhibited: Transparent Watercolor Society of America: John Singer Sargent Award
• 2015 Exhibited: American Watercolor Society NY
RUSSELL JEWELL Ed.D.
AWS, NWS, TWSA
A simple black square is a window to everything in the world… in the dark. Therefore, regardless of the subject or medium, all that matters is light. In other words, without light there is no form, only the dark square – an image of everything in the world… in the dark. Visually, only light allows for observation. Exponentially, only enlightenment pushes aside shadows within ourselves. Is it then not true the world we observe and the world we imagine both demand light for observation, thus creating enlightened worlds to be shared with others?