Katie Dobson Cundiff
Katie’s work is very diverse and includes wildlife, figure, portrait, and still life, but it is her colorful and boldly painted landscape and floral paintings that have won her national and international attention. Completed all prima and primarily en plein air, her paintings expertly convey a sense of place, light, and atmosphere.
Recognized as one of the Southeast’s finest impressionist landscape painters, Katie is past president and a current board member of the prestigious Plein Air Painters of the Southeast. She has won numerous awards and holds signature membership in Oil Painters of America, American Impressionist Society and American Women Artists.
I acquired an early appreciation for the fine arts, drawing, and painting, under the direction of my artist parents, my father a successful illustrator, and mother a display artist and sculptor. From the time I could hold a pencil, I was drawing on the floor of my father’s studio, and realized my destiny as an artist at an early age. I was introduced to the works of masters with trips to great museums, galleries, and art studios, and became a model for my father as he gave live painting demonstrations around the Chicago area schools and art leagues. My early endeavors rewarded me with scholarships from National Scholastics Magazine and the Croation Fraternal Union, resulting in a B.A. in Fine Arts and Painting from Ringling College of Art and Design in 1971.
A love of the out of doors and a passion for painting has resulted in numerous awards and recognition in plein air events and festivals across the country. Although primarily a landscape painter, my work also includes still life, figurative and wildlife, and has been featured on apparel and in print for many national and international conservation and wildlife organizations.
Art in all forms, but especially painting, became and remains my passion. It has enriched my life tremendously, bringing me great peace, excitement, friendships, and adventures with every painting, but the the greatest pleasure is having others experience these emotions themselves in viewing my work, and in sharing my feelings, thoughts, ideas, and knowledge.
Plein Air Painters of the Southeast (PAP-SE), Salmagundi Club NYC, California Art Club, and Laguna Plein Air Painters Association.
Oil Painters of America, American Women Artists, American Impressionist Society.
American Artists Magazine, American Art Collector, Plein Air Magazine, Southwest Art
Link to Plein Air Magazine Article: http://ca.zinio.com/mag-reader/h5r-reader.jsp#/readsvg/416349040/32
Fine Art Galleries:
Coconut Grove Gallery in Miami, FL
Palm Avenue Fine Art Gallery in Sarasota, FL
TSJ Fine Art Gallery dos The Secret Jewel in Placida, FL
Anderson Fine Art Gallery, St. Simons Island, GA
• Second Place: Bath County Plein Air Festival
• Second Place: Cashiers Village Green Plein Air Festival
• Award of Excellence: New Bern Plein Air
• Best Landscape/Agricultural: Gloucester Plein Air Festival
• Oil Painters of America Annual Juried Exhibition
• Oil Painters of America Annual Juried Exhibition, California Center for the Arts
• American Impressionist Society 22nd Annual Juried Exhibition
• Awards Judge, Oil Painters of America, Eastern Regional Exhibition
• Salmagundi Art Club “View Out My Window” Best of Show
• Oil Painters of America Annual Juried Exhibition, RS Hanna Gallery, Fredricksburg, TX
• Exhibition Judge, Oil Painters of America, Western Regional Exhibitiion
• Award of Excellence, American Impressionist Society 21st Annual Juried Exhibition
• Award of Excellence, OPA Eastern Regional Exhibit, Reinart Gallery, Charleston, SC
• American Impressionist Society 20th Annual Juried Exhibition
• Oil Painters of America 28th National Exhibition, Illume Gallery of Fine Art, St. George, UT
• Haggin Museum, American Women Artists Signature Member Exhibition
• Juried Plein Air Exhibits in Annapolis, MD, Richmond, VA, Cashiers, NC
• Oil Painters of America Salon Show Exhibition, Traverse City, MI
• Oil Painters of America National Exhibition, Steamboat Springs, CO
• American Impressionist Society Small Works Exhibition, Cincinnati, OH
• Solo Show, Patrica Thompson Gallery, Ringling College of Art, Sarasota
Inspired by Spanish painter, Jouquin Sorolla and Russian painter, Sergei Bongart, my passion is drawing and painting from life. I enjoy being outdoors painting places and subjects revealing the essence of everyday life.
I was fortunate to have a father who was a successful illustrator teach me the basics of how to draw and paint, sharing his knowledge and love of the fine arts with me. I find it important and fulfilling to also share this knowledge and everything I have learned throughout my artistic journey, as well as my art, with others.