May 13-15 (New Bern, NC)
3 Day Workshop - $475
May 8-11 (New Bern, NC)
4 Day Workshop - $600
Shanna Kunz of Ogden, UT is a naturalist painter of the landscape that surrounds her, interpreting the quiet and familiar places of the American West. She has been featured in numerous major art publications, including a feature article in Art Of The West, Western Art & Architecture, Plein Air Magazine, Outdoor Painter, Southwest Art Magazine, Western Art Collector and Fine Art Connoisseur.
She won Artists Choice Award at the Bozeman Museum of Art Plein Air Invitational 2023, Best In Show For Body Of Work in The Hockaday Museum Invitational, The Coors Show, Maynard Dixon Camp Out, C.M. Russell Auction, Rocky Mountain Plein Air Painters Best Of Show 2016, American Impressionist Society Exhibitions, exhibiting at The Salmagundi Club, NYC, Maynard Dixon Country 2010, 2018, the Jackson Wildlife Museum Western Visions Miniature Show, among many more.
She is a signature member of the American Tonalist Society, a signature member of the American Impressionist Society, a signature member of Oil Painters of America, and The California Art Club Out of State Member. Shanna has been a guest on Eric Rhoads Podcast, The Artful Painter Podcast, and will be featured in Plein Air Live 2024.
What do you get when you take a workshop with Shanna?
In our workshop, we are going to explore compositional design and color decisions in studio painting.
Some experience with your medium is required, though all levels are welcome! Shanna will be working in oil.
1. We will find and compose dynamic compositions, simplifying shapes and looking for placement to
best convey your intentions and impressions about the scene.
2. We will learn how to recognize abstract shapes and values to make sense out of all the information
screaming for attention.
3. We will learn how to organize your composition into connected masses and value patterns for a more organized and purposeful design, while creating the spatial relationships and atmosphere that create the three dimensional illusion that helps you feel like you can walk into the painting.
4. We will choose a ground color and block-in that serve as a pattern to create an emotional
composition with a bold statement and rhythm.
5. We will learn to create the illusion of depth with the use of temperature shifts and a variety of edges, gently moving your audience through the painting while keeping their attention where you want it to be.
6. Personal instruction and guidance will be provided.
Shanna will guide you through the decision making process from the very beginning of your painting. She will help you choose and enhance your theme, and to identify palette choices that make your painting more engaging. You will use brushes, palette knives and glazes to develop your own style!
For immediate questions or assistance contact email@example.com
Deposit of $100 ($40 is non-refundable) will reserve your place. Balance due 30 days prior to workshop start date.